Clarkson University is pleased to announce a new two-credit-hour course: Business and Bias in the Equestrian Industry (https://connect.clarkson.edu/register/badge_course ). The online course will be offered January 13 to February 15 and taught by Prof. Piper Klemm, Ph.D., the publisher of The Plaid Horse (https://www.theplaidhorse.com/college/) course uses the interdisciplinary tools of economics, psychology, and cultural norms, along with addressing issues of power and justice, to examine and understand the inner-workings of the equestrian industry. The course provides the students with an intellectual skill set to navigate through and flourish within the sport.
This college course taught by Prof. Piper Klemm, Ph.D. is a unique educational contribution to the equine industry; utilizing both the intellectual and practitioner communities. From the micro to the macro environment, Prof. Klemm brings to bear insights from a variety of disciplines to understand patterns within the industry, persistent inequities, and norms and customs that foster irrational decision making. In this era of unparalleled stress to the equine community, she offers college-credit business instruction to pursue future success.
Prof. Klemm is recognized for her commitment to education in the industry. In addition to her college teaching, through The Plaid Horse magazine, the weekly podcast the #Plaidcast, books, articles, speaking engagements, and support of educational pursuits, she puts learning front and center.
Piper Klemm, Ph.D., received her B.S. with Honors from Trinity College (Hartford, CT) and her Ph.D. in Chemistry from the University of California at Berkeley. She has been the Publisher of The Plaid Horse since 2014, co-authored the Show Strides series for young riders, is a co-host of the #Plaidcast, has a pony leasing business, and runs various entrepreneurial projects. Her mission is to educate young equestrians in every facet of our industry and empower in particular young women to find their voice and story and share them. She shows in the amateur hunter divisions with her horse, MTM Sandwich.
Please share this announcement with your equestrian community and consider taking the course yourself.
2 credit-hour course
Insight into equestrian business that you cannot find anywhere else
You will find:
- That the intuitive “right” decision can be totally wrong
- Norms and customs can mask irrational decision making
- Business as usual looks very different under an economic microscope
- Understanding total costs will help you make money-saving decisions
- The long way is the short way
- Common “make-or-buy” mistakes
Do you have questions:
- How is price determined?
- Who is working for my best interests?
- Did you ever wonder about the inner workings of the equestrian community?
- What are my best choices with a limited budget?
- How do I expand my equestrian horizon?
Gain these skills and insights:
- Learn to calculate the true value of an investment in the industry
- Learn to “play” the game by making the most of your resources
- Learn to think more productively, more creatively, more rationally
- This is a master class in understanding incentives in the horse world.
Are you ready to understand the incentives of those around you, improve your performance outcomes, and make better decisions?
The $112-billion equestrian industry of the twenty-first century has struggled to address issues of economics and business. Using the interdisciplinary tools of economics, psychology, and cultural norms, students in this course will learn how the status quo evolved and can be navigated through cultural norms, customs, and niche market biases. Issues of power and justice as they apply to the coach/rider experience and patterns of abuse within the industry will also be explored. This is also a master class in incentives—because for better or worse, incentives rule our world. Students will be equipped with an intellectual skill set to navigate through and flourish within the sport.
This course is ideal for:
- College and high school students–
- Resume booster for pre-college or students planning to transfer
- College credit to ease the load on busy semesters
- Employees in the equestrian community–
- Interest in a successful equestrian career
- Networking and industry connections
- Addressing your power to improve the outcomes for you and to improve the equestrian community
- Move from intuition to planning
- Equine business owners—
- Long term, Short term, and doing more than surviving
- Understand the consequences to total costs
- enhance and enrich your participation in equestrian sports and ownership
- Deploy your resources wisely
- Equestrian reporters and writers–
- provide your audience with far greater insights when you understand the forces that drive the news
- Investors in the industry–
- Maximize investments of Time, treasure, and people
- Understand the forces that truly influence each investment
- Teachers and trainers in the industry–
- provide a broader context of the equestrian arena
- Identify pathways for individual students to thrive
- Parents–to understand the field and make the best decisions for their children
- You don’t miss any horse shows or days at the barn
- Location Independent
- Interact with famous equestrians through Guest Lectures
- Incredible peer group to form friendships and industry networking
Get to know Piper with these podcast interviews:
The Plaid Horse media in more detail:
The Plaid Horse mission: The Plaid Horse is a print and digital publishing company, proudly printed in the United States. We provide exceptional coverage for the hunter/jumper/breeding disciplines at reasonable rates. We support equestrian competitors, horse fans, the general public, and suppliers to the industry through horse show and event coverage, equine articles of interest, and advertisements.
Read the all issues: https://issuu.com/theplaidhorsemag
Listen to the #Plaidcast: theplaidhorse.com/the-plaidcast – Recent Guests Include:
Inside Your Ride on the #Plaidcast:
Subscribe: $49.00 for a one-year subscription to The Plaid Horse, North America’s Horse Show Magazine! https://www.theplaidhorse.com/product/subscribe-to-the-plaid-horse/
Show Strides: This middle grade book series of novels about riding, horse shows, and what it takes to succeed in the sport we all love, and aimed at both young readers and horse lovers of all ages.
- Book 1–School Horses & Show Ponies.
- Book 2–Confidence Comeback
- Book 3–Moving Up and Moving On
Contact: Piper Klemm