WIHS Regional Horse Show & USHJA Zone 3 Championship Will Be Back at Morven Park Equestrian Center for Second Year
The 63rd Annual Washington International Horse Show (WIHS) presented by MARS Equestrian™ will be held Oct. 26-31, 2021, at Tryon International Equestrian Center (TIEC), in Mill Spring, N.C., featuring the Longines FEI Jumping World Cup™ Washington CSI4*-W for the President’s Cup, and a complete schedule of hunter, jumper and equitation events, the WIHS Board of Directors announced today.
Traditionally held in Washington, D.C., WIHS had to make other plans in 2020 when Capital One Arena, the show’s home since 2000, was closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The solution came when TIEC, a world-class venue with a proven history of hosting top-quality events, offered WIHS a temporary outdoor home to hold the WIHS Championship and Finals classes and the President’s Cup Grand Prix.
“Our horse show in the city found a wonderful temporary home in the beautiful mountains of North Carolina thanks to a great partnership with Tryon,” said Vicki Lowell, WIHS President since 2013. “WIHS was able to keep treasured traditions alive while ensuring competition would be as safe as possible for exhibitors, and partners could feel secure in their continued support of WIHS.”
Though the heart and history of WIHS remains in the D.C. community, given the continued COVID-19 uncertainty and strict D.C. reopening policies for events, WIHS will return to the safe, horse- and rider-friendly TIEC before planning a return to a venue in the Washington, D.C., area in 2022.
Re-Creating the WIHS Experience at TIEC
“This year, we’re embracing our history and traditions to re-create a WIHS experience at Tryon and expand beyond what we did last year. We’ll be welcoming our exhibitors and sponsors to an exciting and competitive show with a D.C. twist in October,” said Lowell.
WIHS will offer its complete schedule of hunter, jumper and equitation divisions, the World Cup Qualifier, and amenities unique to WIHS. A new Medium Junior Amateur Jumper Division will be added as well as classes for Child and Adult hunter and jumper competitors. Plus, additional FEI riders will be accepted to compete in the Longines FEI Jumping World Cup™ Washington CSI4*.
2021 WIHS Competition at TIEC
- Hunter: Professional, Junior, Amateur and Pony Hunter Divisions
- Jumper: FEI, Junior and Amateur Divisions, a new Medium Junior Amateur Jumper Division, and the Longines FEI Jumping World Cup™ Washington CSI4*-W for the President’s Cup
- Equitation: WIHS Equitation and Pony Equitation Finals
- WIHS Children’s and Adult Hunter and Jumper Championships
- WIHS Regional Horse Show & USHJA Zone 3 Championship
2021 WIHS Regional Horse Show & USHJA Zone 3 Championship
Following a highly successful event last year, the WIHS Regional Horse Show & USHJA Zone 3 Championship will return to Morven Park International Equestrian Center in Leesburg, Va., October 21-24, and continue to offer a wide range of hunter and jumper classes in a picturesque and historic setting.
- WIHS Membership is required to earn points for WIHS Equitation Finals and WIHS Children’s and Adult Hunter and Jumper Championships. Qualifying period: Sept. 1, 2020-Aug. 31, 2021. Learn more and join today https://www.wihs.org/membership/
- Lodging in Tryon https://tryon.coth.com/page/lodging-online-booking
- COVID-19 Resources (USEF) https://www.usef.org/media/coronavirus-resources
- Learn more about Tryon International Equestrian Center https://tryon.coth.com/
- Learn more about Morven Park International Equestrian Center https://www.morvenpark.org/equestrian-center/equestrian/equestrian-center-home-page.html
Look for detailed class schedules and updates for exhibitors, families and spectators, COVID-19 guidelines and hospitality for both WIHS at TIEC and WIHS Regional at Morven Park coming soon.
About Washington International Horse Show
Established in 1958, the Washington International Horse Show is one of North America’s most prestigious and entertaining equestrian events with competition for professionals, amateurs, juniors and children. Highlights include the Longines FEI Jumping World Cup™ Washington for the President’s Cup and the WIHS Equitation Finals plus community and charity events. WIHS, an official USEF Heritage Competition, is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit charitable organization. For more information, visit wihs.org.
Contact: Jennifer Wood | firstname.lastname@example.org