The Arabian Horse Association (AHA) seeks a full-time, managing editor for their bi-monthly, member magazine, Arabian Horse Life (AHL).
General responsibilities for the position include managing the coordination, content collection, writing assignments and overall editorial outlook of the magazine; taking an active role in setting sales goals and sales direction for the sales team, alongside AHA’s Director of Marketing; and coordinating graphic layout, editorial content and production of magazine with design staff, while assisting in optimizing the net operating profit of the publication.
- Manage, coordinate, and participate in the writing, editing, imposition and production of the magazine and other publications to ensure consistency, timeliness of production and accuracy of content as well as high quality and conformity to established editorial standards of appearance, content, and editorial guidelines.
- Overall editing duties, including but not limited to: assigning editorial stories to contract writers, writing editorial stories, obtaining photographs for story layout, editing of the overall magazine
- Manage the graphic design and production process to ensure the highest level of graphic quality of materials and timely completion of projects.
- Some oversight of the Design and Publications staff and Ad Sales Representatives; including meeting magazine deadlines and sales goals.
- Develop an editorial calendar that lays out a plan for the editorial content of each issue of Arabian Horse Life magazine for each calendar year.
- Both originate/write and commission features, columns, stories, etc. to in-house writers or freelancers; editing product for quality and initiating feedback as necessary.
- Assist in the preparation and management of the Arabian Horse Life magazine budget.
- Manage acquisition of section and column content
- Build close ties to various segments of the Arabian horse community (breeders, amateurs and professionals).
- Build up relationships with freelance writers and photographers; manage the selection of authors, illustrators, photographers and other contributors.
- Manage the Arabian Horse Life magazine on an ongoing basis regarding its focus, brand, long-term goals and profitability.
- Evaluate all materials for publication, coordinate the production schedule, and oversee the production and manage the staff functions that relate to AHA magazine and other editorial projects.
- Maintain excellent communication and working relationships with all AHA employees, members, volunteers, clients, and vendors.
- May travel to various events for editorial coverage.
- Perform other duties and accept other responsibilities as assigned.
Education and Expertise Required:
- Skills and Knowledge: A skill and knowledge level normally gained with a minimum of five years in a position that required management of design and publications staff, ad sales staff, editorial content and production of quality publications (magazine; 4-color). Must have proven skills in copywriting and editing within multiple context and content areas. Proven experience managing complex projects in a dynamic environment and delivering results within budget and deadline requirements. BS/BA degree in journalism, communications, marketing or related field. Highly desired is: equine knowledge; association experience; and proven skills in publication design and lay-out.
- Abilities: Effective management of staff; customer-service driven; detail and accuracy oriented; excellent proofreader of one’s own work and the work of others; extremely organized; quick learner and self-motivated. Ability to identify a problem and initiate the resolution process; establish priorities and multi-task with concurrent deadlines. Excellent interpersonal skills (such as being approachable by staff/others; serve as an advisor to staff/others with the ability to give and take criticism/advise effectively and with tact). Work with individuals with all types of personalities and all levels of expertise. Demonstrated aptitude for learning new technologies. Flexible and change oriented. Able and willing to travel (multiple days and out of town) and work overtime as required. Must be insurable under AHA's auto insurance program.
The position will be considered for both in-house as well as remote applicants. Salary is based on level of experience and expertise. Please email a copy of your resume, cover letter and a writing sample to Julian.email@example.com.
AHA is a major equine association serving 84,000 Arabian, Half-Arabian and Anglo-Arabian horse owners across North America. AHA registers and maintains a database of more than one million Arabian, Half-Arabian and Anglo-Arabian horses. AHA produces championship events, recognizes over 400 Arabian horse shows and distance rides and provides activities, education, and programs that promote breeding and ownership.
AHP has not verified the factual statements in any job posting and AHP assumes no responsibility for the contents of, or any damage resulting from, any communication in the CareerTrack. Listing in the CareerTrack is not an endorsement by the organization of any employer, person, or policy.