University of Louisville Equine Industry Program Director Position Available
Job ID: 34654
Location: Equine Administration
The College of Business at University of Louisville is seeking a dynamic equine industry leader to direct its one-of-a-kind Equine Industry Program. The Equine Industry Program Director will be appointed at the faculty rank of Instructor (Term). Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
The Director will provide strategic and day-to-day leadership to the Equine Industry Program. He or she will be charged with positioning the UofL Equine Industry Program to respond to the changing needs of the racing industry (per Kentucky Revised Statute KRS 230.550) and to prepare future equine industry professionals through tailored educational programs. The Director also will be responsible for building the international reputation and visibility of the Equine Industry Program. Specific responsibilities include:
- Closely monitor the equine industry for changes, challenges, and trends-especially those related to research and teaching opportunities
- Guide strategic planning and lead effective implementation of strategic initiatives
- Articulate a clear vision for the Equine Industry Program to internal and external stakeholders
Oversight of day-to-day operations
- Work with faculty and staff to develop events that result in measurable improvements for the equine industry including an annual conference, industry meetings, and educational roundtables
- Work with faculty to identify and fulfill key research needs in the racing industry
- Oversee curricular assessment and redesign, development of cooperative educational experiences, and student recruitment
- Manage Equine Industry Program faculty and staff, including hiring, annual performance reviews, mentoring, and supervision
- Develop operating and capital improvement budgets
Strategic external relations
- Establish and maintain effective relations with the diverse stakeholders (e.g., faculty, staff, students, alumni, industry leaders, government officials, and legislators)
- Serve as a liaison between the Equine Industry Program and the key industry partners
- Stay current on governmental and regulatory issues of the equine industry and work effectively with legislative bodies critical for success
- Build international partnerships that advance the strategic goals
- Work with College and University staff to manage marketing, public relations, and social media activity promoting the Equine Industry Program and its research
- Build the visibility and reputation of the Equine Industry Program through external engagements, networking, etc.
- Assist the Dean in development and fund-raising efforts to establish an endowment fund
Teaching & Service
- Develop and deliver undergraduate (and possibly MBA) courses in area of expertise
- Provide general service to the College of Business and University of Louisville (e.g., serve on committees)
Candidates must possess:
- A bachelor's degree
- 7+ years of progressively responsible experience in the horse racing industry
- Deep knowledge of equine industry trends, challenges, and opportunities
- Experience setting and achieving strategic objectives
- Ability to work effectively with diverse groups of people and engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures
- Time management and project management skills
- Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills
About the Equine Industry Program
The Equine Industry Program is on the move and a leader in horse commerce, enterprise and academics. It was established in 1986 and is supported by KRS (Kentucky Revised Statute) 230.550. As the one of only two AACSB-accredited equine programs in the world, the Equine Industry Program provides training and educational opportunities in the horse racing industry relating to, but not limited to, finance, management, marketing, regulation, and administrative aspects of the horse racing industry.
The Equine Industry Program is ideally situated in the heart of horse country and one mile from historic Churchill Downs, home to the Kentucky Derby. The city of Louisville is a vibrant community with a population of over one million that offers a relatively low cost of living as well as a variety of housing options-including being a short commute away from several horse communities. The city also boasts a thriving cultural and arts scene, one of the highest number of restaurants per capita in the United States, and a world-class public park system.
Applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references as a single document (PDF) with the online application.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of Louisville is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer, and is committed to providing employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, sex, age, color, national origin, ethnicity, creed, religion, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and expression, marital status, pregnancy, or veteran status. If you are unable to use our online application process due to an impairment or disability, please contact the Employment team at employ.edu or 502.852.6258.
To apply for this position, follow the "Online App. Form" link below and then click on the "Apply Now". You must answer all required fields and submit your application by clicking the "Submit" button. Detailed instructions are available at louisville.edu/jobs in the "My Career Tools" section. Vacancies are routinely removed from the jobs portal around 7:00PM on the deadline date. If the posting description requested that you follow up and mail or email other documents, your application will not be considered complete until those have been received by the department.
Only ONE attachment can be uploaded per application. If you wish to include a cover letter or other documents, please combine them as one document with your resume/cv, save the document with a simple short title that contains only letters, spaces, or numbers, and then upload.
Computers are available for application submission at the Human Resources Department located at 1980 Arthur Street - Louisville, Kentucky 40208. If you have any questions or problems please contact, Center for Faculty Personnel - FACPERS@louisville.edu or by phone 502-852-5301.
If you require assistance or accommodation with our online application process, you may schedule an appointment at (502) 852-6542 with Employment Services at the Human Resources office located at 1980 Arthur Street, Louisville, KY 40208.
Contact: Equine Administration
University of Louisville
AHP has not verified the factual statements in any job posting and AHP assumes no responsibility for the contents of, or any damage resulting from, any communication in the CareerTrack. Listing in the CareerTrack is not an endorsement by the organization of any employer, person, or policy.