Fast-paced environment with family atmosphere for reining enthusiast and communications whiz
The Assistant Editor & Communications Specialist will coordinate and oversee communications efforts with National Reining Horse Association members. This person is responsible for developing goals and plans to enhance communication with members using various mediums such as the NRHA Reiner magazine, NRHA web properties, email, print, etc.
This person will manage, create, and edit content for the NRHA Reiner magazine and NRHA communications. Tasks include, but are not limited to, editing content, corresponding with freelance writers, fact checking, magazine inventory management, writing features, writing press releases, digital and social media coordination, and photo management. This individual will play a key role in the partnership between NRHA and Active Interest Media (AIM), publisher of the Reiner magazine. This person will have the opportunity to travel NRHA events for event coverage and marketing needs.
Education & Experience:
Education: Minimum – Bachelor’s Degree (Journalism or Ag Communications preferable)
Experience: Communications and publications experience preferred. Strong knowledge of the reining or show industry preferred.
- Superb grammar, spelling, punctuation, and proofing skills to be both a contributor and editor
- Excellent organizational, time management, and communication skills
- Knowledge of social platforms, web analytics and digital campaigns
- Proficient in Excel, Word, Outlook Explorer/Mail, and Photoshop
- Experience in Adobe Creative Suite is preferred. Quark experience is beneficial.
- Pleasant personality, ability to interact with staff and members in a professional manner
- Attention to detail in a deadline-driven atmosphere
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize is a must
- Photography experience is preferred
- Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m., Some travel, weekend, and holiday work required including NRHA Futurity, NRHA Derby, and Board meetings
NRHA REINER MAGAZINE
- Serve as a liaison between NRHA and AIM, including writing, editing, gathering materials, and preparing event coverage for the Reiner magazine
- Coordinate editorial for Corporate Partner advertorials with Director of Corporate Relations
- Compile official results for competition highlight stories (for print and digital use)
- Perform research as needed to ensure accuracy. This may include researching in the NRHA database, historical documents, magazines, websites, breed registries, etc.
- Propose new original content and write articles, press releases, and digital content to enhance communication with members. Choose supporting material, complete interviews, and obtain photographs for stories as assigned.
- Assist with subscription inquiries, subscription database, coordinate address updates, and process requests for back copies of magazine
- Develop and implement strategies to increase subscriptions
- Serve as lead writer and editor for NRHA news releases throughout the year and at NRHA’s major events
- Efficiently edit, fact check, and proof material for print in the magazine, as well as NRHA materials, online content, etc.
- Provide general oversight of NRHA website content and digital communications with members
- Generate weekly digital content to enhance communication and engagement with NRHA members.
- Collaborate with the Manager of Marketing & Communications to develop content for NRHA’s websites and social media accounts (Facebook, Instagram, SnapChat, Twitter, etc). This includes curating evergreen content for later use.
- Generate and implement “member-centric” marketing strategies and materials for NRHA programs
- Collaborate and assist with marketing and communications projects (ex. Reining Horse Foundation, NRHyA, Corporate Relations, ReinerSuite, and the Event Officials Program)
- Provide excellent customer service, respond to and help process requests for information from media, members, and other publications
- Work with NRHA Committees and Board of Directors as needed
- Assist as needed at NRHA events
- Perform other duties as directed by management
Chief Communications Officer & Assistant Commissioner
National Reining Horse Association
AHP has not verified the factual statements in any job posting and AHP assumes no responsibility for the contents of, or any damage resulting from, any communication in the CareerTrack. Listing in the CareerTrack is not an endorsement by the organization of any employer, person, or policy.