The Chronicle of the Horse offers an editorial internship for people interested in horses and journalism, based in our Middleburg, Virginia, office. (No telecommuters.) Our internship gives interns a real feel for publishing.
The job description varies little from the actual duties of the editorial staff. We work with the intern, offering personal attention and a level of responsibility fitted to the individual. Successful candidates arrive at the Chronicle ready to hit the ground running thanks to strong writing skills, familiarity with our products and in-depth sport horse knowledge. We are proud of our program.
- Fact checking
- Writing news, features and other content for The Chronicle of the Horse magazine, coth.com and Untacked
- Managing and publishing photo galleries online
- Special web projects
- Interviewing experts for profiles or features
Normal hours are Monday through Friday, 9 to 5, with some flexibility possible. Interns will work in our Middleburg, Virginia, office. Some weekends are spent on assignment. Rolling internships available.
- Strong writing background
- Knowledge of English horse sports. A competitive background is strongly suggested.
- Interest in a journalism career
- Talent for photography helpful
- Knowledge of AP Style and multimedia skills helpful
- Familiarity with WordPress helpful
- Compensation is $7.25/hour or academic credit. Housing is the responsibility of the intern; we will assist in your search. A car is necessary.
Most of the editorial staff at the Chronicle started their careers as interns. The internship is a great fit for college graduates as well as top college students. Graduates of our internship program have worked at news outlets like Practical Horseman, In Stride, The Horse, Condé Naste Traveler, Horse-Journal and CBC. Other former interns are now working in fields of equine photography and public relations, and others work as freelance writers.
In the past interns have written cover stories for The Chronicle of the Horse magazine, produced behind-the-scenes videos at events, blogged for coth.com and pitched ideas for projects to the editorial staff that we helped them carry out.
We are currently accepting applications for interns for 2020. This internship is based in our Middleburg, Virginia, office, and telecommuting is not an option.
To apply: email résumé, cover letter, equestrian background, writing sample and availability to: Kieran Paulsen, email@example.com