The Chronicle of the Horse offers a remote, part-time editorial internship for people interested in horses and journalism. Our internship gives interns a real feel for publishing. We work with the intern, offering personal attention and a level of responsibility fitted to the individual. Successful candidates arrive at the Chronicle ready to hit the ground running thanks to strong writing skills, familiarity with our products and in-depth sport horse knowledge. We are proud of our program. The Chronicle offers a chance to grow. Duties include:
- Posting web stories
- Writing news, features and other content for The Chronicle of the Horse magazine, comand Untacked
- Interviewing experts for profiles or features
- Assisting editors and reporters with projectsNormal hours are flexible, but Monday mornings are required.
- Strong writing background
- In-depth knowledge of English horse sports; a competitive background is strongly suggested
- Interest in a journalism career
- Familiarity with WordPress
- Knowledge of AP Style and multimedia skills helpful
- Talent for photography helpful
Compensation is $7.25/hour or academic credit.
Most of the editorial staff at the Chronicle started their careers as interns. The internship is a great fit for college graduates as well as top college students. Graduates of our internship program have gone on to work at news outlets like Practical Horseman, In Stride, The Horse, Condé Naste Traveler, Horse-Journal and CBC among others. Other former interns are now working in fields of equine photography and public relations, and others work as freelance writers.
In the past interns have written cover stories for The Chronicle of the Horse magazine, produced behind-the-scenes videos at events, blogged for coth.com and pitched ideas for projects to the editorial staff that we helped them carry out.
We accept applications on a rolling basis.
Please email applications to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please send résumé, cover letter, equestrian background, two writing samples and availability.