Appaloosa Horse Club Executive Secretary
The Appaloosa Horse Club (ApHC), est. 1938, is one of the top member-based equine associations and is the official international registry of the breed. With the mission to preserve the heritage and promote the future of the Appaloosa horse, the association has members in all 50 U.S. states and 22 countries around the world. The organization fosters growth in ownership and seeks to increase participation through promotion and recognition.
Immediate Supervisor: The Board of Directors
Supervision of Others: Direct reports are: Administrative Assistant, Information Technology Manager, Journal Editor, Marketing Director, Performance Department Supervisor, Registration Department Supervisor, with responsibility for all employees.
– Responsible to the Board of Directors for the full range of activities — maintenance and growth of membership; coordination of program work; organizational structure and procedures; employment, motivation and supervision of staff; interpretation of policy; income and expenditures; budgeting oversight; maintenance of quarters; long-range planning.
– Manage the overall business to ensure strategic and business plans are effectively implemented, the results are monitored and reported to the Board, and financial and operational objectives are attained.
– Provide direction and leadership toward the achievement of the organization’s philosophy, mission, strategy, and its annual goals and objectives.
– Implement strategies to increase membership and registrations.
– Anticipate economic, social, and industry issues that may affect our organization and recommend appropriate actions as may be necessary to staff, the Board of Directors, government agencies, and membership.
– Develop, maintain, and enhance the relationships between the ApHC, its members, and other organizations.
– Set and communicate a clear vision with measurable organizational objectives; drive the ApHC to achieve and surpass its objectives.
– Keep the Board of Directors fully informed on all aspects of the organization’s operational and financial affairs, and on all matters of significant relevance, including external items emanating from governments and regulators on issues such as fiscal and monetary policies, legislation, etc.
– Foster a corporate culture that promotes ethical practices, integrity, and a positive climate that prioritizes quality customer service.
– Identify, in conjunction with other senior officers, key potential risks to the ApHC and our industry, and review such potential vulnerabilities and strategies for managing them with senior staff and the Board.
– Represent the Appaloosa Horse Club positively and professionally to the community, at functions and events around the nation and abroad, and in all interactions with members and other entities.
– Be a creative problem solver, trust builder, and accountable decision maker.
– Act as the breed Registrar and in conjunction with staff approve horses to be added to the Appaloosa breed registry.
– May direct human resources.
– Minimum of five (5) years experience in a senior management position.
– Bachelor’s degree or Master’s degree in a relevant field (i.e., Business Management, AG- related Communications, etc.) preferred.
– Must have experience in, knowledge and understanding of the equine industry.
– Understanding of human resources and personnel management.
– Must demonstrate excellent writing and verbal communication skills.
– Must have: Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook; Adobe Acrobat; familiarity with data bases; understanding of social media platform management.
– Must have knowledge of brand marketing and messaging.
– Strong organizational habits, detail-oriented, quality-focused, and commitment to professionalism.
– Knowledge and understanding of profit and loss, balance sheet, cash flow management, and general finance and budgeting.
– Ability to translate complex information into persuasive, actionable goals and apply effective oversight to realize the objectives.
– Ability to build consensus and relationships among executives, partners, and workforce.
– Proven negotiation skills, ability to work under pressure, plan workload and delegate, understand issues quickly and make collaborative decisions.
– Must have or obtain a valid Passport and be able to travel several times per year.
– Ability to pass a satisfactory background and reference selection process.
Entry level: No
Full Time: Yes
Location: Moscow, Idaho
Salary and Benefits:
The salary for the Executive Secretary is negotiable and commensurate with experience, typically established in a three-year contract with options to renew. In addition to base salary, the ApHC Executive Secretary will receive:
– Fifteen (15) days of paid vacation.
– Paid hospital, medical and dental insurance.
– Paid sick leave.
– Access to life insurance and other ancillary benefits through our corporate partners.
How to Apply:
This position will remain open until filled. For first consideration, apply July 15, 2021. Submit a cover letter, resume, and three professional references via email only to: Employment@appaloosa.com, Lori Wunderlich, ApHC President.