The U.S. Trotting Association, Columbus, Ohio, is seeking a print and digital editor for Hoof Beats magazine.
The Hoof Beats assistant editor will be responsible for creating and publishing print and digital content for the USTA’s monthly magazine, websites, and social media platforms. Strong writing skills and the ability to work within deadlines is required.
The duties of the assistant editor will include, conceptualizing, writing, and editing stories for Hoof Beats, Youth Beats, and their social media platforms, assisting with management of the Hoof Beats editorial calendar, producing print and digital content from major stakes races and other industry events, and providing customer service support for Hoof Beats subscribers.
The assistant editor will work within a team environment with the magazine’s editorial staff as well as cross-functionally with USTA employees in other departments, particularly the Communications, Outreach and Member Services departments. In addition, it will be essential to build and foster relationships across the harness racing industry to identify stories and produce relevant content.
BS/BA in Journalism, Communications, English, or writing-centric program strongly preferred. Candidates, without a degree, but with strong writing skills and knowledge of the Standardbred horse and harness racing will be given consideration.
- Strong interest in following harness racing on a daily basis and writing about its races and participants, both human and equine.
- Ability to work flexible schedule, including weeknights and weekends, with some travel to major stakes races and industry events.
- Proficiency in Microsoft and Adobe software as well as social media platforms, particularly Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube.
- Experience with interviewing subjects for written stories.
- Knowledge of horse racing, especially harness racing.
Interested candidates should send resume and cover letter to USTA Director of Marketing and Communications Dan Leary at firstname.lastname@example.org.