Team Roping Journal and Breakaway Roping Journal
Equine Network, LLC
(Full time; remote okay)
- News writing, 1–3 years (Preferred)
- Social media management, 1–3 years (preferred)
- Bachelor’s in marketing, communications or journalism (Required)
Full Job Description
The Equine Network, LLC is seeking an experienced, detail-oriented content creator and digital editor to join the team of The Team Roping Journal and The Breakaway Roping Journal. The person in this role will play a critical part in our content creation efforts, working with the senior managing editor and associate editor to create and manage daily website content and maintain all social channels for these vibrant brands, including but not limited to: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest. The ideal candidate will also contribute to our subscription video platforms (Roping.com and Breakawayroping.com) as well as manage digital content projects for major industry advertisers and events—including news and event coverage—across the TRJ and BRJ brands. The digital editor will also be responsible for production of ‘The Score’ (semi-weekly) and ‘Short Score’ (bi-weekly) podcasts. This role will require travel to events. This is a full-time position, and ability to travel to the Boulder, Colorado, office quarterly is required. Day-to-day work is done remotely, making access to reliable, quality internet a must.
- Experience in journalism, especially pertaining to the equine industry
- Comfort and familiarity with AP Style and inverted-pyramid news writing for event coverage
- Mastery of SEO and related practices to optimize digital content visibility
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Social media management, including use of graphic tools like Canva
- Ability to plan and execute a digital content schedule
- Natural understanding of team roping and breakaway roping, and the complexity of each industry
- Ability to work on a team and independently is a must. This is a truly versatile role.
- Exceptional time-management qualities including creating, maintaining and deploying multiple projects on set deadlines
- Ability to identify appropriate practices, and opportunities to maximize results for content initiatives
- Understanding of multiple brand and industry standards and ability to implement in production
- Ability and willingness to learn and engage with new technology, practices, people and procedures.
- Pitch and plan at least 2–3 event coverage stories per week across TRJ and BRJ
- Assign digital content to freelance pool to ensure content goals are reached
- Properly format and deploy print magazine digital content on a monthly schedule
- Take finished podcast interviews from Editorial Director and Associate Editor and edit and upload them across streaming channels using podcast distribution platform. ‘The Score’ podcast comes out every other week, while The Short Score is weekly and The Score’s Roping Tips podcast is also weekly.
- Create engaging video content for TikTok, both from events and using existing SVOD content.
- Work with roping photographers to complete photo research to accompany articles
- Appearances and interviews on ‘The Score’ and ‘The Breakdown’ podcasts as needed
- Act as the liaison between freelance contributors and the accounting team to produce and wrangle assignment contracts, invoices and associated documents related to our digital products
Desired Proficiencies (in order of importance)
- Microsoft Office
- Adobe Creative Suite, including Adobe Audition, inDesign and PhotoShop
ABOUT EQUINE NETWORK: The Equine Network is the premier horse enthusiast group, bringing together events, memberships, marketing and media that span the globe. With long standing brands, as well as some of the largest events in the horse industry, we strive to be the best in our field, continually evolving and expanding our horizons.
To apply, interested persons should submit their resumes to Gabby Schiavino at firstname.lastname@example.org.