The District Sales Manager (DSM) is the General Manager for his/her territory. The incumbent’s primary responsibility is to optimize distribution via Farm and Feed Dealers (and similar retail accounts) while also managing and servicing existing dealer and farm accounts. In addition, the DSM will provide technical support, merchandise customer locations, sell-in the marketing calendars and build customer promotions using marketing funds (MDF). This position exists to ensure the delivery of gross sales value and scorecard measures for Mars Horsecare for the assigned business segments. Accountable for profitable business growth via the achievement of specific gross sales value, improvements in store merchandising metrics (including SKUs/store, preferable positioning, signage/POP placement, and developing Ambassadors/influencers in the store), and distribution targets.
This position is field based and reports directly to a Regional Sales Manager. The position requires a high degree of integrity with the ability to work efficiently and effectively in an independent fashion without direct supervision. DSM’s are responsible for setting their own schedules and work in a variety of retail settings and conditions. This position may require occasional overnight travel.
What are we looking for?
- Bachelor’s Degree or significant experience in Animal Nutrition field sales or related area with expertise or experience in the equine nutrition
- Will consider furthering education within this field
- Functional administrative skills (basic Microsoft Suite, Excel, PP, Work, Outlook)
- 4 + years previous sales experience preferred
- Equine industry experience strongly desired
- Ability to lift 50lbs
- Demonstrate ability to work remotely
- Must live within territory boundaries
What will be your key responsibilities?
- Responsible for the Northeast region of the U.S. for Mars Horsecare, with primary focus in Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, and surrounding states
- Lead formal sales management processes, including responsibilities and performance standards; goals, targets, KPIs, best practices and success models; PDP.
- Develop and manage current and prospective independent retailers within the territory. Develop a territory plan including investment and expected return (ROI).
- Formulate a strategy for top key distributor accounts and define objectives and goals, including optimizing distribution, increasing account penetration with additional SKUs and garnering recommendations at retail.
- Support and provide insights to team impact planning session
- Support cross functional teams with a sales perspective to other functions, collaborating with R&D, Marketing and Logistics on projects including, but not limited to Pricing, Distribution, SKU Rationalization, Promotional Calendars, Category Management, etc.
- Must be incredibly organized, prioritizing critical activities and leveraging sales skills and given sales tools to achieve or exceed agreed objectives.
- Develop effective and productive relationships within all levels of customer responsibility, as well as within the sales business unit.
- Prospect retail and barn calls within a specified area, based upon a target list/pipeline development.
- Manage customers relations as the key point person relating to daily operations of the business (pricing, allowances, deduction management, etc.)
- Measure and evaluate specific territory business (KPI’s, trends, gaps/opportunities, what’s working/not working). Provide solutions where gaps exist and execute these solutions accordingly. Own and lead this territory story with management team.
- Participate in team conference calls, training and attend all sales meetings.
- Provide input in terms of collaborative planning, recommending new approaches and processes that ensure better customer planning, input, and alignment of improved activity sets.
What can you expect from Mars?
- Work with over 130,000 like-minded and talented Associates, all guided by The Five Principles.
- Join a purpose driven company, where we’re striving to build the world we want tomorrow, today.
- Best-in-class learning and development support from day one, including access to our in-house Mars University.
- An industry competitive salary and benefits package, including company bonus.
TO APPLY, CLICK HERE
Mars is a family-owned business with more than $35 billion in global sales. We produce some of the world’s best-loved brands: M&M’s®, SNICKERS®, TWIX®, MILKY WAY®, DOVE®, PEDIGREE®, ROYAL CANIN®, WHISKAS®, EXTRA®, ORBIT®, 5™, SKITTLES®, BEN’S ORIGINAL® and COCOAVIA®. Alongside our consumer brands, we proudly take care of half of the world’s pets through our nutrition, health and services businesses such as Banfield Pet Hospitals™, BluePearl®, Linnaeus, AniCura, VCA™ and Pet Partners™. Headquartered in McLean, VA, Mars operates in more than 80 countries. The Mars Five Principles – Quality, Responsibility, Mutuality, Efficiency and Freedom – inspire our 130,000 Associates into taking action every day towards creating the world we want tomorrow.