Title: Assistant Content Creator
Department: Horse&Rider, editorial
Department head: Nichole Chirico
Primary Objective of Position: Horse&Rider Magazine is looking to add a content-driven, skilled writer, and creator to the brand’s award-winning staff. With the changing media landscapes continued shift toward the digital realm, the ideal candidate will have a solid foundation of traditional journalistic and literary skills and a deep understanding of the Western performance horse industry, while at the same time possess a passion for innovation and a firm grasp of the fast-paced demands of the digital space. The position will work with fellow editors to develop and execute a cross-platform content plan, including print, digital, podcast, and video. In the video field, our assistant content creator will also be expected to plan and execute video shoots for Horse&Rider OnDemand with the help of our video department. A successful applicant will have a background in the horse industry with a passion for the Western way of life and helping readers have a more knowledgeable, safer experience through their horse life. This full-time position is remote, and benefits include medical, dental vision, 401(k), as well as access to the horse industry’s top influencers, creators, trainers, and competitors.
Professional Responsibilities: The assistant content creator will write daily stories for HorseandRider.com, while shooting photography and writing copy for departments and features for the quarterly print magazine. The assistant content creator will also be in charge of responding to customer service emails and assisting accounting with freelancer contracts and invoices. The assistant content creator will be expected to maintain a flexible travel schedule to attend horse shows and photo shoots and will be expected to build and maintain strong relationships throughout the Western industry. The assistant content creator will also be expected to help maintain social and digital channels for Horse&Rider.
Professional Qualifications: Professional demeanor is a must for all positions at Equine Network LLC. In addition to courteous, friendly, businesslike behavior, the following qualifications are fundamental to this position:
- Must be a self-starter who is able take initiative on projects and to plan and organize their time.
- Proven ability and skill in writing and editing.
- Photography experience or expressed interest in learning photography for the magazine and digital platforms.
- Proven ability to work with others in a cooperative team effort.
- Proven computer skills in MS Office, PowerPoint, Adobe InDesign, and Adobe Photoshop.
- Proven ability to efficiently manage and organize own time.
- Planning experience in a publishing environment desirable.
- Proficiency in using Facebook, Instagram, SnapChat, Pinterest, TikTok, Instagram Reels, and developing social channels for a brand.
- 1-3 years’ experience in a media environment
- Bachelor’s degree in communication or related field
Working Conditions: The Assistant Content Creator must be comfortable working on a computer for a standard 8-hour workday, with night- and weekend work periodically required.
ADA: These are essential functions of the position and must be performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. Any offer of employment is contingent upon the results of a pre-employment reference check.
To apply: Send a cover letter, resume, and three published clips (or links to them) to email@example.com.