Job Title: Managing Director – Marketing
Reports to: Director of Brand Marketing & Strategic Partnerships
FLSA Status: Exempt
Position Summary: The United States Hunter Jumper Association (USHJA) seeks a highly skilled and experienced Managing Director to lead our Marketing Team. This key leadership role will report directly to the Director of Brand Marketing & Strategic Partnerships and oversee the strategic direction and day-to-day operations of Marketing and Communications. We seek a candidate with exceptional marketing expertise, strong leadership abilities, and a profound passion for the equestrian industry. They should have a flair for storytelling and a clear understanding of how visual elements and design intertwine to shape our marketing strategy.
Duties and Responsibilities
Marketing and Communications Strategy Leadership:
- Provide general support to the Director of Brand Marketing & Strategic Partnerships.
- Oversee and administer a creative marketing strategy that effectively translates brand storytelling (brand identity, narrative, visual storytelling, etc.) across various multi-pronged marketing channels (digital, print, PR, etc.) and design assets (advertisements, program books, etc.).
- Oversee and execute the overall marketing and communications strategy and implement and manage strategic and tactical communications for all USHJA programs and plans in alignment with organizational goals and objectives.
- Collaborate with the Director of Brand Marketing & Strategic Partnerships on marketing strategy and work with design to ensure consistent branding and messaging across all marketing collateral.
- Provide strategic support in implementing marketing campaigns, digital marketing initiatives, and public relations and communications efforts.
- Support marketing, communications, and brand campaign execution, ensuring tactical communications plans ladder up to support overarching brand strategy and organizational goals.
- Oversees email copy, subject lines and preheaders, advertising, and website banners.
- Stay current with industry trends and best practices to drive innovation and continuous improvement for the team.
- Stay abreast of and report key issues facing the organization, update the Director of Brand Marketing and Strategic Partnerships, and collaborate cross-departmentally with staff to aid in executing strategies.
- Take part in the selection and management of contractors and other service providers.
- Provide strategic communications counsel to USHJA staff.
Marketing and Communications Operations:
- Oversee and support the execution and evaluation of all marketing and communications initiatives, ensuring they are on time, within budget, and meet established objectives.
- Manage the creation and production of marketing materials, including print and digital assets, advertising campaigns, website content, social media content, email marketing, and event collateral.
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders to identify and leverage marketing opportunities to promote the USHJA, its programs, and events.
- Monitor and analyze marketing and communications metrics and KPIs to evaluate the effectiveness of campaigns and adjust strategies as needed.
Marketing and Communications Team Development/Management:
- Lead, mentor, and develop a high-performing team of professionals, fostering a collaborative and inclusive work environment.
- Provide clear direction, set performance goals, and conduct regular performance check-ins to ensure the team’s success.
- Foster a culture of creativity, innovation, and continuous learning within the department.
- Provide coaching and support professional development opportunities for staff.
- Work with staff to develop goals, objectives, etc., and monitor performance; provide regular feedback, conduct annual reviews, and identify opportunities for advancement.
- Participates in all aspects of staff acquisition and management.
Marketing and Communications General Management:
- Support the Director of Brand Marketing and Strategic Partnerships in managing the USHJA marketing budget, including assisting in assessing the initiatives’ costs and communicating estimated expenses to the Director. Aid in resource allocation and monitoring expenses within the Marketing and Design department budget.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams for all program initiatives, including Events, Membership, Education, Sport, and IT, to ensure integrated and cohesive marketing efforts.
- Represent the USHJA at industry events, trade shows, and conferences as a brand ambassador.
Marketing and Communications Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Communications, or a related field.
- Experience in marketing with at least 3 to 5 years in a leadership role.
- Track record of team supervision with multiple reports.
- Proven track record of supporting campaign ideation and implementing successful marketing strategies and campaigns.
- Strong understanding of brand management, digital marketing strategies, and how visual design principles ladder up to marketing strategy.
- Excellent leadership and team management skills, with the ability to inspire and motivate a diverse team.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- In-depth knowledge of the equestrian industry and an understanding of the Hunter Jumper discipline is highly desirable.
- Travel, after-hours, and weekend work may be required for special projects and events.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
- Possess and maintains a valid driver’s license with no restrictions.
The physical demands described here represent those that an employee must meet to perform the essential functions of this job successfully. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is often required to travel by air or automobile. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- The position is based at the USHJA headquarters in Lexington, KY.
- Hybrid work schedule; M-T home, W-F in office.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com