Do you have a passion for horses and a career as an equine media professional? Apply for the 2020 AHP Student Award today!
Are you eligible for the AHP Student Award?
Yes, if you are a senior in high school or an undergraduate matriculated* college student pursuing a career in equine media during the 2019-2020 school year, with at least one semester remaining before graduation at the time of application. You must have a 2.00 GPA or higher.
*A matriculated student is one who has applied for and been accepted in a specific degree program through their college’s Admissions Office. Matriculated students in good standing must take a minimum of 9 credits and not exceed 18 credits per semester.
NOTE: The AHP Student Award Contest is open to residents of the US and Canada only. Former Student Award Winners are ineligible; Travel Award Winners may re-apply.
As an award winner you’ll …
- Meet, network, and participate with publishers, editors, advertising, production, and marketing managers. You will participate in workshops, interactive discussions, lectures and informal get-togethers. This eye-opening conference will inform and enlighten you about the opportunities available to, and skills needed for, someone interested in pursuing a career in equine media.
- Have an opportunity to discuss your talents and potential with the decision makers who do the hiring. Conversely, those professionals will be evaluating and appraising you as a possible future staff member.
How to apply
Ship application and required materials to arrive postmarked no later than JANUARY 20, 2020
Download 2020 Student Award Application [Fillable PDF] - Save to your computer before completing.
Print 2020 Student Award Guidelines [PDF]
Submit completed application form, plus the following required materials:
Completed application form, plus:
- Transcript of high school or college work completed and list of courses currently in progress.
- List of scholarships and awards received, club and other organization memberships, and extra-curricular activities.
- Employment record, including current job(s).
- A 200-word (maximum) biographical sketch detailing your equine background, media experience, and career plans.
- Three samples of your work, i.e. news or feature articles, advertisements, photographs, artwork, visual media, etc., published in print or online. (Classroom or published material acceptable.)
- Two letters of recommendation from individuals such as instructors and employers.
Submitted materials will not be returned to applicant. Incomplete applications will be disqualified.
Mail application and required materials by Monday, January 20, 2020 to:
AHP Student Award Contest
Judy Lincoln, Student Award Coordinator
49 Spinnaker Circle
South Daytona, FL 32119
Selection of award winners
The Student Award Judge will evaluate and compare your entry with other candidates based on the following criteria:
- Relevant experience
- Skills and abilities
- Presentation of material
- Career goals and confidence
- Interview skills
Applicants will be scored based on the selection criteria and up to three students will be selected to receive a $1,000 travel award to the annual conference. Winners of travel awards MUST attend the 2020 AHP Equine Media Conference in Lexington, Kentucky on May 28-30, 2020 to receive their award. The travel award winners will be interviewed on Thursday afternoon during the conference. The AHP Student Award winner will be selected and announced during the Student Award Reception on Friday, May 29, 2020.
2020 Travel Award Winners
A travel award of $1,000, complimentary conference registration* and complimentary Student membership* will be awarded to up to three applicants. Travel Award winners have an opportunity to participate with equine media professionals in a three-day conference and related activities at the 50th Anniversary AHP Equine Media Conference in Lexington, Kentucky on May 28-30, 2020
Travel Award winners must agree to attend the conference arriving by Thursday morning and departing no earlier than Sunday to receive the award.
2020 Student Award Winner
The winner receives a cash award of $1,000 and the title of 2020 AHP Student Award Winner. Additional cash awards awarded at the discretion of the judge to the runners-up.
All Qualified Applicants
All qualified applicants will receive a complimentary Student membership* and a Student registration* certificate for the AHP Equine Media Conference in Lexington, Kentucky on May 28-30, 2020. *Registrations and memberships are not transferable.
Additional AHP Student Opportunities
Student Membership: Available to high school, college, and graduate students for dues of $25. Students receive a listing in the online AHP Membership Directory, access to the Members Only area of the AHP website, and may attend the annual conference at a reduced registration fee.
AHP Internship Program: Offers college students an opportunity to intern at an equine publication or business and gain valuable hands-on work experience. The AHP Internship listings and application are available online.