Are you eligible for the AHP Student Award?
Yes, if you are a senior in high school or an undergraduate matriculated* college student pursuing a career in equine publishing during the 2017-2018 school year, with at least one semester remaining before graduation at the time of application.
*A matriculated student is one who has applied for and been accepted in a specific degree program through their college’s Admissions Office. Matriculated students in good standing may take up to 18 credit hours each semester.
NOTE: The AHP Student Award Contest is open to residents of the US and Canada only. Former Student Award Winners are ineligible; Travel Award Winners may re-apply.
As an award winner you’ll …
- Meet, network, and participate with publishers, editors, advertising, production, and marketing managers. You will participate in workshops, interactive discussions, lectures and informal get-togethers at the annual AHP Equine Media Conference. This eye-opening conference will inform and enlighten you about the opportunities available to, and skills needed for, someone interested in pursuing a career in equine publishing media.
- Have an opportunity to discuss your talents and potential with the decision makers who do the hiring. Conversely, those professionals will be evaluating and appraising you as a possible future staff member.
How to apply
Ship application and required materials to arrive postmarked no later than JANUARY 19, 2018.
Download 2018 Student Award Application [Fillable PDF] - Save to your computer before completing.
Print 2018 Student Award Guidelines [PDF]
Submit completed application form, plus the following required materials:
- Transcript of high school or college work completed and list of courses in progress.
- List of scholarships and awards received, club and other organization memberships, and extra-curricular activities.
- Employment record, including current job(s).
- A 200-word (maximum) biographical sketch detailing your equine background, publishing experience, and career plans.
- Three samples of your work, i.e. news or feature articles, advertisements, publications, photographs, artwork, etc. (Classroom or published material acceptable.)
- Two letters of recommendation from individuals such as instructors and employers.
Submitted materials will not be returned to applicant. Incomplete applications will be disqualified.
Mail application and required materials by January 19, 2018 to:
AHP Student Award Contest
Judy Lincoln, Student Award Coordinator
49 Spinnaker Circle
South Daytona, FL 32119
Selection of award winners
The Student Award Judge will evaluate and compare your entry with other candidates based on the following criteria:
- Relevant experience
- Skills and abilities
- Presentation of material
- Career goals and confidence
- Interview skills
Applicants will be scored based on the selection criteria and up to three students will be selected to receive a $750 travel award to the annual conference. Winners of travel awards MUST attend the 2018 AHP Equine Media Conference in Hunt Valley, Maryland, June 14-16, 2018 to receive their award. The travel award winners will be interviewed on Thursday from 1:00 to 4:00 p.m. during the conference. The AHP Student Award winner will be selected and announced during the Student Award Reception on Friday, June 15, 2018.
2018 Travel Award Winners
A travel award of $750, complimentary conference registration* and complimentary Student membership* will be awarded to up to three applicants. Travel Award winners have an opportunity to participate with equine publishing professionals in a three-day conference and related activities at the AHP Equine Media Conference in Hunt Valley, Maryland on June 14-16, 2018.
Travel Award winners must agree to attend the seminar arriving by Thursday morning and departing no earlier than Sunday to receive the award.
2018 Student Award Winner
The winner receives a cash award of $1,000 and the title of 2018 AHP Student Award Winner. Additional cash awards awarded at the discretion of the judge to the runners-up.
All Qualified Applicants
All qualified applicants will receive a complimentary Student membership* and a Student registration* certificate for the AHP Equine Media Conference in Hunt Valley, Maryland on June 14-16, 2018. *Registrations and memberships are not transferable.
Additional AHP Student Opportunities
Student Membership: Available to high school, college, and graduate students for annual dues of $25. Students receive a listing in the online AHP Membership Directory, access to the Members Only area of the AHP website, and reduced seminar registration.
AHP Internship Program: Offers college students an opportunity to intern at an equine publication or business and gain valuable hands-on work experience. The AHP Internship listings and application are available online.