Full Schedule Plus Additional Day of Competition
The prize list for the 64th Annual Washington International Horse Show (WIHS) presented by MARS Equestrian™ is now available online at wihs.org.
Established in 1958, the prestigious and popular national and international equestrian event will return to the Washington, D.C., area October 24-30, 2022, with newly elevated CSI5*-W status and an additional day of competition. It will be held over seven days and three nights at The Show Place Arena at Prince George’s Equestrian Center in Upper Marlboro, Maryland.
“We’re committed to delivering a world-class venue, inside and out,” said Victoria Lowell, WIHS President. “Exhibitors will find new footing in the arena and in multiple warm-up areas, as well as a dedicated FEI complex. We’ll have an exhibitor lounge overlooking the arena and a custom-built VIP club with premium catering and excellent views of the ring. With support from our dedicated sponsors, this will undoubtedly be one of the most exciting events in our history.”
Highlighting the schedule is the $406,000 Longines FEI Jumping World Cup™ Washington CSI5*-W for the President’s Cup. The new FEI CSI5*-W status distinguishes WIHS as the only five-star Jumping World Cup qualifying event in the United States. With it comes significantly increased prize money and FEI ranking points, valuable to riders as they work toward the FEI Jumping World Cup Final in April 2023. A full schedule of hunter, jumper, and equitation competition, plus exhibitions and special events, will round out this exciting week.
Leading U.S. rider Kent Farrington, who competes around the world and is an Olympic medalist, has a unique perspective. He started his career as a junior at WIHS and returns frequently to compete in international classes.
“I’m excited that WIHS is taking the initiative to expand the show’s budget on everything from increased prize money to making it a top-tier event,” said Farrington. “I believe we need the shows in America to keep aiming to improve their standards to stay on par with high-level events around the world. I’m looking forward to seeing what the new Washington International Horse Show has in store for us as I know the objective is to maintain its status as a highlight of the American showing jumping calendar and more.”
WIHS has partnered with the popular National Harbor waterfront complex to create the WIHS Hospitality Campus offering exhibitors a variety of hotels including the Gaylord National Resort, the WIHS official hotel. Exclusive discounted rates are available for exhibitors. National Harbor will be the site of the new WIHS Welcome Party on Wednesday, October 26, and its many amenities include restaurants, shops, and the famous Capital Wheel, as well as complimentary shuttle service to and from the arena.
Returning for the fifth year as the WIHS Official Airline, Delta will offer discounted travel for WIHS exhibitors and fans to local airports in the Washington, D.C., area.
- WIHS Prize List at https://bit.ly/3B7uiKh
- Enter online via Show Management System. Entries accepted online only. Entries close Tuesday, September 6.
- Event Schedule: https://wihs.org/event-schedule/
- WIHS Membership: https://www.wihs.org/membership/. WIHS Children’s, Adult, and Equitation competitors must be WIHS members for points to apply. The qualifying period is September 1, 2021 through August 31, 2022.
Travel, Hotels and Hospitality
- Travel and Hotel: https://wihs.org/travel-hotel/
- WIHS VIP Hospitality: https://wihs.org/vip-tables/
- The Gaylord National Resort, the WIHS official hotel, is offering an exclusive discount for exhibitors, much reduced from public rates. This discounted rate is limited, so please visit https://book.passkey.com/go/HorseShowOct2022 to secure rooms. Learn more about the Gaylord, a Marriott Bonvoy property, here. You may also call +1 301-965-4000 to book your rooms.
- Discounted travel is available to local airports in the Maryland and Washington, D.C., areas through Delta, the WIHS Official Airline. Use meeting code: NMVXN
- You may also call Delta Meeting Network® at 1-800-328-1111 Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 7:30 p.m. (CT) and refer to Meeting Event Code NMVXN. No service fee applies to reservations booked and ticketed via Delta’s reservation 800 number.
About Washington International Horse Show
Established in 1958, the Washington International Horse Show is one of North America’s most prestigious, competitive, and entertaining equestrian events with competition for international, professional, amateur, junior, and child riders. Highlights include the $406,000 Longines FEI Jumping World Cup™ Washington for the President’s Cup, and the WIHS Equitation Finals and Children’s and Adult Hunter and Jumper Championships, plus popular community and charity events, like Kids’ Day and Barn Night. WIHS, an official USEF Heritage Competition, is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit charitable organization. For more information, visit wihs.org.
Contact: Kara Pinato Scro | firstname.lastname@example.org
Images available on request