BloodHorse LLC, the leading provider of information and news for the Thoroughbred industry, has an opening for an Assistant Editor based in Lexington, Kentucky. Full-time position. (working remotely temporarily)
BloodHorse LLC is a dynamic multimedia company that produces the BloodHorse weekly magazine, an industry-leading website at Bloodhorse.com, and BloodHorse Daily, a PDF and mobile news service providing analysis and all-day updates for racing and breeding professionals. BloodHorse also manages a broad range of social media platforms. It publishes a range of other respected Thoroughbred industry-focused publications as well.
We are looking for an enthusiastic assistant editor to join our team and participate in all stages of the digital publication process. As an assistant editor you will support the managing editor to administer, plan, and produce various digital publications. Ultimately, you should be able to deliver exceptional and informative content to meet audience expectations.
Fills in for managing editor as needed, taking a second-in-command role to the managing editor.
- Makes decisions pertaining to placement and layout of content in Daily PDF and website.
- Assists managing editor in planning future content and scheduling staff.
- Schedules and assigns previews and recaps for the week’s stakes schedule.
- Uses judgment to make decisions about news content and placement; manages and assigns breaking news and evergreen stories to staff to ensure appropriate coverage.
Responsible for timely and accurate nightly production of daily news product on assigned nights and weekend days.
- Plans a general schedule of articles to run in the Daily each day, along with lead stories for the week.
- Reads each article that will be published in the Daily for accuracy—this includes checking facts, spelling, grammar, and clarity.
- Finds appropriate photos for each article and documents any that may need to be paid for.
- Ensures photo payables used online and in BloodHorse Daily are accurately recorded by the editorial production leads each month and ready to be processed at month end.
- Troubleshoots issues that may arise while production is ongoing that may pertain to layout, design, or advertising - responsible for making the final call on these issues when managing editor is not available.
Manages schedule of sire lists published each day in BloodHorse Daily with consideration to sales, grade 1 races, and special events.
Coordinates with team members to continually improve product quality and increase engagement, subscribers, app and PDF downloads, and overall revenue for BloodHorse Daily and Bloodhorse.com.
Writes and edits press releases and articles to style for BloodHorse.com, BloodHorse Daily, and BloodHorse Magazine.
Conducts interviews with high-profile industry members and government leaders.
Builds relationships with key industry figures; attends racetrack and social events to cover for all platforms as needed.
Attends or assists in coverage of special events, such as Triple Crown, Breeders’ Cup, and Eclipse Awards.
Assists with managing and training interns in software systems and company processes and policies.
Analyzes pedigrees, race records, and performance of horses in races and sales.
Responsible for covering maidens of note to be promoted through the BloodHorse Maiden Watch, Races to Watch, or BloodHorse Select horses.
Regularly posts and promotes content on social media.
- Twice a week to the LinkedIn account to increase engagement on that platform.
- Responsible for some articles posted on Twitter and for producing Daily tweets, such as the nightly and Daily spotlight tweets.
- Assists with keeping other platforms current when needed, including Instagram and Facebook.
Writes stakes reports and regional reports for the magazine as needed.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements:
- Have strong written and verbal communication skills and a proficient knowledge of spelling, grammar, and the importance of style, and the ability to produce clear, thorough, and clean copy quickly.
- Know how to cultivate sources within the industry and how to collect information through interviews and public records.
- Strong attention to detail is a must, as are organization, creativity, and a passion to excel.
- Must be comfortable working under pressure and on tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment while juggling multiple assignments.
- Be self-motivated, but also a team player with excellent interpersonal skills, able to work alone and cooperatively with editors and other writers as needed.
- Accept and complete assignments cooperatively and with a “can do” attitude.
- Have the ability to make 11th-hour decisions regarding breaking news and must possess good news judgment. Must understand the urgency in handling breaking news and the appropriate ranking of major and minor news stories.
- Help ensure BloodHorse content is of highest quality in respect to content and style.
- Participate in social media activities and promotions, including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Preference for copy editing experience.
- Preference for familiarity with the Thoroughbred industry.
- 3+ years experience preferred.
For additional information and to apply online: