POSITION TITLE: Marketing and Communications Director
FUNCTION: Serves as the department head and is responsible for marketing strategy, branding, communications and public relations designed to promote all programs and services within the United States Pony Clubs, Inc. Manages and supervises staff and contractors, and develops Marketing and Communications Department budget. Coordinates with Marketing and Communications Committee Chair and Executive Director to develop strategic plan for outreach and promotion, and coordinates the marketing and communications plan to support the needs of the following Departments: Membership Service, Development, Instructional Services and Activities and Events Planning, and shop pony club store.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS: Educational background and experience in marketing, communications, journalism, public relations. Background in supporting the marketing and communications needs of a membership type organization essential, with knowledge of the horse industry and the United States Pony Club desired. Strategic market planning, brand management, creativity, layout and design, and desktop publishing skills are desired. Solid written and oral command of the English language is required. Director must be capable of public speaking and able to professionally represent the organization. Must have strong editorial skills to assure the organization is represented in a correct and positive manner in both text and photos. Director must be computer literate, and adept in the use of social media for marketing, public relations and development purposes. 5 years marketing and communications experience required, with 2 years of supervisory. Position requires periodic travel, evening and weekend hours.
- Manages and supervises all marketing and communications staff and contractors.
- Develops and oversees the overall organizational marketing and communications plans/needs, and creates and implements promotional and communications strategies to include the needs of the entire organization and shop pony club storefront and online presence. Including events, promotions, and outreach efforts.
- Creates and manages the marketing and communications department budget and related contracts.
- Responsible for media relations, press releases, social media, and branding and messaging.
- Responsible for all ShopPonyClub.org online and storefront operations including day-to-day sales, promotions, products, quality control, and branding of spirit wear and educational stocked items. Balances cost of goods with sales and member benefits.
- Website Content Management to create, review, and maintain webpages with consistent USPC look and feel while upholding standards and policies of organization. Work with all departments to improve intuitiveness, update information, and improve search engine optimization while adhering to budget and time constraints.
- Manages the design and production of print and electronic materials (website, blog, Facebook, newsletters, Annual Directory, Annual Reports, post-Board meeting report, “Course Walk”, handbooks and rulebooks, promotional materials, etc.) as needed. Manages printing (pricing and most ordering/communications with print facilities) and distribution (through marketing and sales) of publications.
- Works closely with Department Directors, other staff, and appropriate committees in the design and production of educational, activity and development materials and literature. Maintains "quality control" to identify and correct inconsistencies and outdated information.
- Creates and administers Marketing and Development related research instruments.
- Designs and manages advertising plan and activities for overall organizational needs: development of rate cards and advertising solicitation materials, distribution and sales of advertising in publication, and scheduling and placement of ads.
- Assists Committee Chair in the preparation of a Marketing Report for Board meetings.
- Undertakes any additional tasks that may be assigned by the Executive Director. Regularly report progress on activities to ED and Communications Chairman.
RELATIONSHIPS: Reports to the ED. Serves as professional staff to the Marketing and Communications Committee and Chairperson. Has frequent contact with staff Directors, and shop pony club Manager. Supervises Marketing and Communications staff and contractors. Serves on Program Action Committee (PAC). Communicates with representatives of other equine publications, equine industry marketing and advertising personnel, and outside vendors such as artists, photographers, typesetters, printers, and mailing services.
Please send your resume with cover letter to Karen Clark at: firstname.lastname@example.org