Winner Selected for 2015 Annual Equine Industry Vision Award
Zoetis and American Horse Publications are proud to announce that a winner has been selected to receive the 2015 Equine Industry Vision Award. Sponsored by Zoetis, the award is intended to recognize innovation, leadership and service. This year, a record-breaking number of 25 nominations were received. “A nomination for the Equine Industry Vision Award is an honor in itself,” says Chris Brune, AHP Executive Director. “It represents that these individuals and organizations are being recognized for making a real difference in the horse world.”
The six members of the Equine Industry Vision Award Committee reviewed the nominations and narrowed the list of 25 nominees to four candidates. The committee selected the following finalists: Gayle Ecker, Director, Equine Guelph; EQUUS Foundation, a charitable foundation providing financial support and services to equine charities across the United States; Jim McGarvey, Chairman of the Board, Back Country Horsemen of America; Juli S. Thorson, Editor-at-Large, Horse & Rider.
The remaining 21 nominees included:
- Mark Bellissimo, Publisher of The Chronicle of the Horse
- Eitan Beth-Halachmy, Founder of Cowboy Dressage, Co-Founder of Light Hands Horsemanship
- Bronc Riding Nation, promotes, organizes, and builds awareness of the bucking horse community and their dangerously misunderstood horses.
- Richard C. Gold, DVM, Veterinarian
- Liv Gude, Founder, Pro Equine Grooms
- Jeffrey Gural, President, Meadowlands Race Track
- Intercollegiate Horse Show Association, celebrating 48 years of service to the collegiate academic community
- Interscholastic Equestrian Association, organization to improve the quality of equestrian competition and instruction available to middle and secondary school students
- Janine Jacques, Founder, Equine Rescue Network
- Teresa Jaeckle, Owner, The Jaeckle Centre, a multi-dimensional facility specializing in equine rehabilitation, therapy, and conditioning of sport horses in all disciplines, and Equine Performax
- Maria Katsamanis, President, Maria Katsamanis Training
- Hugh Kincannon, Show Manager of The National Horse Show
- Patty Livingston, President, Georgia Equine Rescue League, Ltd.
- Oregon Horse Country, providing a state-wide resource for Oregon’s equine industry
- Mason Phelps, Jr., President, Phelps Media Group
- Susan Peirce, Co-Founder and President, Red Bucket Equine Rescue
- Retired Racehorse Project, charity organization that facilitates placing ex-racehorses in second careers
- Caroline Robbins, Publisher and President, Trafalgar Square Books
- Water Hay Oats Alliance, grassroots movement of like-minded individuals in horse racing who support elimination of race day medications
- Betty Weibel, Author of The Cleveland Grand Prix: An American Jumping First, and Principal, Yopko Penhallurick Public Relations
- Lyndsey White, Co-Founder, Riders4Helmets, promoting use of protective headgear among equestrians
The AHP Board of Directors plus a Zoetis representative voted for the winner. Finalists were judged on their performance in relation to the achievement(s) cited and their demonstration of the following attributes and abilities: 1) The vision and innovation of a true pioneer; 2) Leadership, commitment, dedication and willingness to serve; 3) Original and effective ideas and/or products, services, programs; 4) High moral, ethical and professional standards.
The winner has been notified to allow for travel arrangements. However, the official announcement of the winner and the presentation of the award will be made at the Equine Industry Vision Award Breakfast on Friday, June 19, 2015 during the AHP Tally-Ho at the Alamo Seminar in San Antonio, Texas. The recipient will be presented with the Equine Industry Vision Award Trophy created by master artisan Peter Wayne Yenawine.
The Equine Industry Vision Award is the first major award to showcase innovation across the equine industry. The award is intended not only to serve as a unique recognition of ingenuity and service, but also to benefit the industry by inspiring these qualities in others. Its purpose is to recognize outstanding leadership, creativity and meritorious contributions in the equine industry. Previous recipients of the Equine Industry Vision Award are Alexander Mackay-Smith in 2002, Don Burt in 2003, the American Quarter Horse Association in 2004, John Ryan Gaines in 2005, Stanley Bergstein in 2006, David O’Connor in 2007, Sally Swift in 2008, Charlotte Brailey Kneeland in 2009, John Nicholson in 2010, Robert E. Cacchione in 2011, Equine Land Conservation Resource in 2012, Professional Association of Therapeutic Horsemanship (PATH) in 2013, and Patti Colbert in 2014.
American Horse Publications is a non-profit professional association dedicated to promoting excellence in equine media and better understanding and communication within the equine publishing industry. For more information, please contact: Chris Brune, American Horse Publications at email@example.com or 386-760-7743 or visit the AHP Web site at www.americanhorsepubs.org.
Zoetis (zō-EH-tis) is the leading animal health company, dedicated to supporting its customers and their businesses. Building on more than 60 years of experience in animal health, Zoetis discovers, develops, manufactures and markets veterinary vaccines and medicines, complemented by diagnostic products and genetic tests and supported by a range of services. In 2013, the company generated annual revenues of $4.6 billion. With approximately 9,800 employees worldwide at the beginning of 2014, Zoetis has a local presence in approximately 70 countries, including 27 manufacturing facilities in 10 countries. Its products serve veterinarians, livestock producers and people who raise and care for farm and companion animals in 120 countries. For more information, visit www.zoetisus.com.
Zoetis is the proud sponsor, with the Smithsonian Institution Traveling Exhibitions, the American Veterinary Medical Association, and the American Veterinary Medical Foundation, of the mobile educational exhibit Animal Connections: Our Journey Together. Families visiting the exhibit will explore the vast bonds between people and animals and learn about the important role veterinarians play in protecting animal and human health. For more information, visit https://www.zoetis.com/animal-connections-tour/.
Contact: Christine W. Brune
American Horse Publications